[Lcdproc] getting a CrystalFontz CFA-533 to work

  • From: sascha+lcdproc at griffinsplace.de (Sascha Klauder)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] getting a CrystalFontz CFA-533 to work
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 20:32:45 +0200

Hi all,

thanks for everyones input; I've made some progress.
Apparently, I had a problem with power supply on the
USB port -- it's better on another computer's port.

However, the display still looks kinda strange, almost
like a positive STN with blue backlight. However, the
white backlight is definitely working. I've took two
shots:

https://lair.griffinsplace.de/~sascha/cfa533-1.jpg
https://lair.griffinsplace.de/~sascha/cfa533-2.jpg

I can't say how the previous owner used it, other than
obviously in the ATX configuration -- jumpers JPGPIO1 and
JPUSBPWR had been opened and there's a custom boot splash
screen when pressing the OK button on the keypad.

The Windows cftest tool correctly recognizes the module,
but I can't get it to display any characters using it's
"LCD Display" feature. Setting the contrast value to any-
thing above 20% will produce errors (brightness control
working fine).

On Tue, 2017-05-02 09:50 -0700, Max Roberg wrote:
> If you aren't sure if the display is damaged or just set to an odd
> configuration, an email to support at crystalfontz.com can maybe help you
> determine that for sure.
>
> It sounds like you are outside of the warranty period but we're still happy
> to try and walk you through some troubleshooting measures.

Thanks, will do that.

Cheers,
-sascha