[Lcdproc] Driving ST7066U

  • From: philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com (Philip Prindeville)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Driving ST7066U
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 15:00:37 -0700

Hi.

I’m working on a platform which has an ST7066U (-0A) or ST7063D chip as
described here:

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.co.kr/datasheet-pdf/view/325981/SITRONIX/ST7066U.html

(sorry for the Korean link). And the assembly data sheet is here:

http://www.redfish-solutions.com/downloads/GFC2002P-BNFEJPB02_Rev%40A.PDF

with the pinouts being on page 15.

The part is driving an 20x2 display with a 5x8 character format, and the
manufacturer of the system (it’s a Lanner Inc FW-8771) claims that it’s
over the parallel port with no serial/USB/GPIO lines (the documentation is
scant).

When I start up the install with these options changed (from defaults):

Driver=hd44780

ReportToSyslog=yes

[hd44780]

ConnectType=8bit

Port=0x378

#Device=/dev/ttyS0

#Speed=0

Keypad=yes

#Backlight=yes

Size=20x2

vspan=2

I just get the backlight on the module flashing, with no information on the
display.

If I change the Port to 0x278 or 0x3bc then nothing happens.

I’m running Linux 4.4.14 (OpenWRT HEAD).

Does anyone have any advice for troubleshooting this?

Thanks,

-Philip