[Lcdproc] lcdproc 0.5.8 release candidate 2

  • From: harald at ccbib.org (Harald Geyer)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] lcdproc 0.5.8 release candidate 2
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 17:30:35 +0100

Hi,

I have just finished fixing all the issues people reported against rc1,
so there is now lcdproc 0.5.8 release candidate 2! See in on github:
https://github.com/lcdproc/lcdproc/releases

A number of people tested rc1 (thanks a lot to all of you!), so I'm pretty
confident that this will be the final release. However, since we had to
fix the build system after rc1, I feel like a further release candidate
is necessary before announcing the final release. So please everybody
(compile) test this once again in your custom environments against the
versions of libraries you have installed.

Below is the current draft of the release notes. (No changes to rc1)

Thanks to everybody who made this release as good as it will be.
Harald

# lcdproc 0.5.8 release candidate 2

The source is available for download from
[github](https://github.com/lcdproc/lcdproc/releases) as
[lcdproc-0.5.8rc2.tar.gz](https://github.com/lcdproc/lcdproc/releases/download/v0.5.8rc2/lcdproc-0.5.8rc2.tar.gz)
with checksums:
* md5sum: 1dd25676946c61184c6f51cc0a75379e
* sha1sum: 8ce88e61acece37546ea1304d4fc513521882057
* sha256sum: f3dc1d78ba7649488bcb7f4aecf23786d1e90313fe8ecd9344f72507847fc224

## New drivers
* futaba: for Futaba TOSD-5711BB VFDisplay commonly used on Elonex Artisan,
Fujitsu Scaleo E and FIC Spectra Media Centre PCs
* linux_input: supporting event devices from the linux input subsystem
* Olimex_MOD_LCD1x9: for [Olimex
MOD-LCD1x9](https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/LCD/MOD-LCD-1x9/open-source-hardware)
* yard2LCD: for [yard2](http://www.yard2usb.de/)

### New connection types for hd44780 driver
* lcm162 is a differently wired 8 bit connection type used on Nextgate NSA
network appliances
* gpio is using the linux sysfs gpio interface to control a display in
4-bit mode. To build this sub-driver you need
[libugpio](https://github.com/mhei/libugpio), which is a new dependency
for lcdproc.

### Obsolete connection types for hd44780 driver
The following connection types are obsolete and probably won't get bug
and security fixes:
* raspberrypi: use the gpio connection type instead
* piplate: use the gpio connection type together with the gpio-mcp23s08
kernel module.
* pifacecad: use the gpio connection type together with the gpio-mcp23s08
kernel module.
* i2c: support for this sub-driver might continue for the users of
non-linux operating systems. On linux systems it is recommended to
use the gpio connection type together with the gpio-pcf857x kernel
module.

## Drivers supporting new hardware or additional functionality
* icp_a106 now also supports A125 displays
* NoritakeVFD added some non-essential features

## Other important changes
* Development of lcdproc moved to github.
* Some internal data structures have changed. If you have custom LCDd
drivers, you will need to recompile them against the new version. Of
course submitting such drivers in pull requests is appreciated.
* For a detailed list of bug fixes, see the ChangeLog.md included in the
distribution archive.

--
If you want to support my work:
see http://friends.ccbib.org/harald/supporting/

  • [Lcdproc] lcdproc 0.5.8 release candidate 2, Harald Geyer, 01/17/2017