[Lcdproc] lcdproc 0.5.8 release candidate 1

  • From: ethan.dicks at gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] lcdproc 0.5.8 release candidate 1
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 15:17:30 -0500

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 5:51 AM, Anton Eliasson <devel at antoneliasson.se>
wrote:
> checking for vga.h... no
> configure: WARNING: The svga driver needs vga.h

Is the svga driver still supported anywhere? I looked into that years
ago, in part because I wanted a simple way to scribble on a
framebuffer without needing X to be up, and I was unsuccessful in
compiling some existing sample code that used the svga lib.
Especially with newer hardware like the Raspberry Pi that can have
small inexpensive graphical LCD modules directly attached to the GPIO
pins and treated like a framebuffer, there seems to be a need for a
lightweight (i.e., quickly booting) way to take over the framebuffer
and draw some letters/icons, but I'd love to hear from someone who has
had success doing that in the last 10 years.

-ethan