[Lcdproc] lcdproc 0.5.8 release candidate 1

  • From: harald at ccbib.org (Harald Geyer)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] lcdproc 0.5.8 release candidate 1
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 23:07:04 +0100

Hi,

I have just created a branch for the 0.5.8 release and cut a release
candidate. The main reason for having a rc instead of just doing a direct
release is that I'm not really confident with autoconf and would like
people to compile test the release tar ball in their own environments,
to make sure everything is fully portable and all necessary files are
included in the release tar ball.

Unfortunately I have some trouble with uploading the properly autoconf
processed tar ball to github. I think I have the necessary permissions
(creating a draft for the release worked fine), but when uploading
the file it says:
Something went really wrong, and we can’t process that file. Try another
file.

I hope to sort this out till the official release. For now I have
uploaded the release tarball to my own server. See below.

Alternatively you can also test the release candidate from git with
the following steps:
> git checkout lcdproc-0.5.8
> sh autogen.sh
> ./configure
> make distcheck
> cd ..
> tar -xzf lcdproc/lcdproc-0.5.8.tar.gz
> cd lcdproc-0.5.8
> ./configure --enable-drivers=all
> make

Reports about either success or failure are appreciated a lot and should
at least include the used operating system.

Note that the version strings within the relase tarball are just
"0.5.8" without the "rc1".

Below is the current draft of the release notes.

Thanks to everybody, who made this release as good as it will be.
Harald

# lcdproc 0.5.8 release candidate 1

The source is available for download from
http://friends.ccbib.org/lambda/lcdproc-0.5.8rc1.tar.gz with checksums:
* md5sum: fc26bcacbb22f390ab19f412ddd3fc3f
* sha1sum: d01cc4eab61d0c08a870b08f7dde417822d3301c
* sha256sum: c3b542003af07bbb988b10bd0a33bcde7d5bc21382642020f1d5acdbe7b10815

## New drivers
* futaba: for Futaba TOSD-5711BB VFDisplay commonly used on Elonex Artisan,
Fujitsu Scaleo E and FIC Spectra Media Centre PCs
* linux_input: supporting event devices from the linux input subsystem
* Olimex_MOD_LCD1x9: for [Olimex
MOD-LCD1x9](https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/LCD/MOD-LCD-1x9/open-source-hardware)
* yard2LCD: for [yard2](http://www.yard2usb.de/)

### New connection types for hd44780 driver
* lcm162 is a differently wired 8 bit connection type used on Nextgate NSA
network appliances
* gpio is using the linux sysfs gpio interface to control a display in
4-bit mode. To build this sub-driver you need
[libugpio](https://github.com/mhei/libugpio), which is a new dependency
for lcdproc.

### Obsolete connection types for hd44780 driver
The following connection types are obsolete and probably won't get bug
and security fixes:
* raspberrypi: use the gpio connection type instead
* piplate: use the gpio connection type together with the gpio-mcp23s08
kernel module.
* pifacecad: use the gpio connection type together with the gpio-mcp23s08
kernel module.
* i2c: support for this sub-driver might continue for the users of
non-linux operating systems. On linux systems it is recommended to
use the gpio connection type together with the gpio-pcf857x kernel
module.

## Drivers supporting new hardware or additional functionality
* icp_a106 now also supports A125 displays
* NoritakeVFD added some non-essential features

## Other important changes
* Development of lcdproc moved to github.
* Some internal data structures have changed. If you have custom LCDd
drivers, you will need to recompile them against the new version. Of
course submitting such drivers in pull requests is appreciated.
* For a detailed list of bug fixes, see the ChangeLog.md included in the
distribution archive.

--
If you want to support my work:
see http://friends.ccbib.org/harald/supporting/