[Lcdproc] Listen and ignore messages

  • From: harald at ccbib.org (Harald Geyer)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Listen and ignore messages
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 22:23:02 +0200

Hi,

looks like nobody is answering your question - so I'll try, but I'm not
very familiar with the protocol myself, so don't rely on it.

On 17.04.2016 15:44, Telium Technical Support wrote:
> I'm new to LCDproc and am designing my client code right now.
> Comparing
> various documentation I could find, I wonder if the meaning of listen
> &
> ignore have changed. One doc shows:

Actually linking the documents would have been helpful.

> listen [#screen [#widget [#widgets...]]]
> Notifies client that "server is listening for data".
> ignore [#screen [#widget [#widgets...]]]
> Tells the client "shut up".

Ok, so found that with duckduckgo. I don't think this is linked from
the
lcdproc home page, so probably this is outdated. Also some of the
commands
listed as "not yet implemented" actually have been implemented, IIRC.

However maybe the text you quote doesn't acutally contradict your quote
below, but is just worded badly.

> While another doc says:
>
> listen screen_id , ignore screen_id
> The screen with the screen_id given is now visible on the display
> (listen)
> or it is not visible anymore on the display (ignore).

This seems to be from the current developers documentation.

> Does that mean when the ignore message arrives I cannot send any
> updates
> about that screen (they are discarded)? Or is the ignore/listen just
> for my
> information but I can keep sending updates to the ignored screen?

AFAIK you can always send updates, but they won't be displayed
immedialty,
if your screen is currently ignored. And also if some key is pressed
only
the client in listen state is notified of the event.

HTH,
Harald

--
If you want to support my work: