LCDproc development and user support list

Text archives Help


[Lcdproc] Some help with multiple heartbeat characters


Chronological Thread 
  • From: zv at ziva-vatra.com (ZV)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Some help with multiple heartbeat characters
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 20:34:57 +0100

On 06/04/16 22:17, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 4:31 PM, ZV <zv at ziva-vatra.com> wrote:
>> On 06/04/16 20:51, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>>> Wow... that's reaching back.
>>>
>>> I wrote the original pic-an-lcd driver, many, many years ago...
>>
>> Heh, I never used it before, as there was always an abundance of
>> parallel ports on my machines. However now with parallel ports vanishing
>> as well, the only port I have is USB, and the Arduino appears as a
>> serial port to the PC, so seemed like the easiest thing to implement in
>> order to get something working.
>
> I also used to use the parallel port a lot and have had to stick an
> AVR in the mix.
>
>> Plus pic-an-lcd being so old, I figured most mainstream lcd software
>> should have support for it, and the bugs should be ironed out by now. If
>> I wrote my own interface I would have to write, debug and maintain a
>> driver for lcdproc too.
>
> Yes and no. The pic-an-lcd was, for a short time over 15 years ago, a
> popular way to do this. It had its moment in the sun and was
> eclipsed. Now, I think it's older-than-old and not well supported at
> all.
>
> If you'd asked before starting, I would have suggested adopting the
> Matrix Orbital serial protocol. *That* has a lot of application
> support since they were one of the early and popular commercial
> vendors. LCDproc started with Matrix Orbital support from day one. I
> still have a number of MtxOrb displays and do regression testing on
> them. There's even an emulator for PalmOS (PalmOrb) that I
> occasionally use. I think there is at least one Arduino-based
> implementation of MtxOrb floating around. The advantage, of course,
> is that you wouldn't have to write any drivers there either, and it
> has additional features like keypad support.

Fair enough, well this was very much a "I got an Arduino and now need to
find something to do with it project". Round the same time I was
battling lcdproc crashing FreeBSD every time I tried to run it (with the
hd44780 driver) and remembered the Pic-an-lcd project from way back.
Didn't realise it has been 15 years, how time flies....

Once I get the hang of this, I may well see about implementing the
Matrix Orbital display interface as well. Could be something worth
doing, and as you say, seems pretty well supported.
>
> The old pic-an-lcd driver probably used more of the native
> functionality, but as there became more variants on HD44780 LCD
> hardware connections but with the same underlying chip features,
> things were completely re-written to just force all the logic into a
> common section and have unique "transport layer" code for each
> variant. It means having to fix lower-layer bugs in fewer places than
> back in "the old days" when each driver was more standalone.

It makes perfect sense, otherwise you have to maintain every single
variety of LCD interface.
>
>>>> I have got a version working, however I seem to have the heartbeat
>>>> appearing multiple times...
>>
>> It seems to happen with both. I will send you some pictures of it.
>
> I've seen the pictures. The fact that you are alternating a heartbeat
> char (0x07) and a block char suggests to me that something isn't
> processing an escape char properly. Your heartbeat1.jpg shows 2
> bargraphs, the lower one is empty (zero value) and properly bracketed.
> The upper one looks like @#@#@#@# (I can see 4 hearts and 4 solid
> blocks) and the rendered characters are running over the right
> bracket. So it looks to me like your code is parsing the stream from
> the LCDproc server and rendering this as two LCD characters, either
> 0x07 and 0xFF or maybe 0x07 and 0x00, depending on which value is the
> BLOCK_ICON (old LCDs have a permanent solid block at 0xFF, some
> alternate char LCDs do not so there's code to supply a solid block
> when the ROM character set does not).
>
> Your heartbeat2.jpg looks like what's supposed to be a histogram with
> different vertical values from left to right, but those random-height
> blocks are interleaved with "hearts" (0x07) which would be from the
> same cause as the hbar.
>
> Check what chars are getting sent to your LCD (via debug mode on LCDd)
> and check on how you are handling character escape.

Thanks a lot for your pointer, I will have a look. Is there are a way to
enable debug mode on LCDd without having to recompile? The only thing I
found was the "level reporting -r " options, which doesn't go quite
that deep into the debug printing.

>
> -ethan
>





Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.18.

Top of page