[Lcdproc] Migration to github

  • From: willfe at gmail.com (William Ferrell)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Migration to github
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 19:50:53 -0400

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Wilberforce <github at wilberforce.co.nz>
wrote:

> Thanks for migrating to a git repository, this will be a great
> advancement.
>
> Will the cvs history be preserved in the import?

Aye, that's my primary concern during the transition. Git provides a
cvs2git script which (in past experience) does a good job with that.

> I have some reservations on self hosting, as it means the whole lcdproc is
> dependent on one person.... If the host is down or an individual is not
> available then lcd proc is down.

For what it's worth, my broadband connection here has an uptime of 106
days, 13:21:17, and that outage was caused by my replacement of the UPS the
equipment is attached to.

However, I'm open to suggestions as to alternative reliable server hosting.

I'm most inclined towards Google's cloud or Amazon's, but other opinions
are certainly welcome. Earlier today I priced Google's Compute Engine
(and/or Container Engine) at about $7-$8 per month, and I've heard
anecdotally from people I trust that even their "slow" server instance
types are bloody fast, especially for our minimal needs.

> Most people have a git hub login - why not just use that?

<soapbox>

Github is unacceptable and unreliable -- its recent forays into social
justice nonsense at the expense of all else means projects hosted there are
vulnerable to attack by people whose feelings are easily hurt. If the
company made more noise about "fixing bugs" than they do about "diversity
hiring," I'd be more willing to consider the platform, but as it stands
right now, if you say (or do) something that offends somebody, even outside
the scope of the project, the project itself can be endangered if someone
makes enough noise.

I don't feel like dealing with having to move the project in a hurry to
another hosting service just because some project member has a bad day,
sends a mean-spirited tweet having nothing to do with LCDproc and some
random busybody convinces Github to ride to the rescue.

Sorry for the rant, but that kind of crap really irritates me.

</soapbox>

Having said all that, there are other alternatives (I believe Gitlab and
Bitbucket are well-regarded?) if folks are really opposed to the project
self-hosting its source repo.

Thoughts?