[Lcdproc] Adding support for an obscure CF LCD

  • From: harald at ccbib.org (Harald Geyer)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Adding support for an obscure CF LCD
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 12:03:11 +0100

Hi!

Chance Fulton writes:
> I have an embedded box with some weird CrystalFontz LCD. I spoke to someone
> at CF and they told me it was built to order so the specs would be with the
> company who ordered it.

I don't know what's Ethans view on this, but in the past lcdproc has
only included drivers for displays that can be bought new. Obviously
CrystalFontz are not selling this display. So first question:
Can said embedded box (or a successor using the same display) get bought new?

> It's a CFA-779, and I happened across some linux c code to drive the LCD
> under Linux. I don't know if it works, but how hard would it be to roll
> this driver into the LCDProc package?
> https://github.com/sarg/cfa779

The code is GPL, so that's ok.
The code is a kernel module while lcdproc is userspace, which works
quite differently, so some rewriting will be necessary. OTOH it's an
i2c client, so we have a well defined interface. Also the device doesn't
look complex. I think this wouldn't be too much work, but it would be the
first i2c CrystalFontz display, so I don't know if this could be
integrated with one of the existing CrystalFontz drivers or if this needs
to get its own driver.

I recommend that you contact the authors of the code you found and ask
them, if they would integrate the code into lcdproc. After all they
have the experience with the display and probably some hardware to
test with.

The code as it stands has no chance of ever getting included into the
mainline linux kernel, so maybe lcdproc would be a nice place for it.

HTH,
Harald

--
If you want to support my work: