[Lcdproc] hd44780 on BananaPi with WiringPi

  • From: coiker at live.com (Iker Curro)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] hd44780 on BananaPi with WiringPi
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 16:30:44 +0200

Hello!

For the Banana Pi there is a WiringPB-library, which is a WiringPi from the
Raspberry Pi  adapted to the Banana Pi. It comes with some LCD functions but
I wanted lcdproc. On the Debian Jessie I'm running I can simply install
lcdproc.

lcdproc comes with a driver for the Raspberry Pi, but it is specialized for
the Broadcom chip used. The Banana Pi is not compatible with that.

So I modified the hd44780-rpi to use the WiringPi, or in my case WiringPB
library.
I'm using the GPIO-functions, not the LCD-functions. Maybe a bad idea, but I
didn't see that way before.

Well, it works :-)

Things are made using lcdproc-0.5.7 based on the documentation
http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/docs/current-dev.html#add-your-driver,
but I just added another sub-driver, copied from the raspberrypi-code.
I wanted to send you the code. But first a few problems:

1.
I don't know where to configure the use of libwiringPi.so.
Currently I need to call "export LIBS=-lwiringPi" before calling "./configure
--enable-drivers=hd44780".
Otherwise the shared library is not used and LCDd fails to start.

2.
I cannot find a section [hd44780] in LCDd.conf to add the wiringpi stuff.

3.
autogen.sh does not exist. I called autoconf, automake, ./configure, make
instead.

4.
diff-ignore does not exist. My patch gets big with generated stuff.

5.
At startup the port of the parallel port (378) is shown on the LCD.

If I get these things straight or understand what's going on, I can create a
patch, if anybody is interested.