[Lcdproc] General advice about linux serial communication API

  • From: manuel.dejonghe at primekey.se (Manuel Dejonghe)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] General advice about linux serial communication API
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 12:29:15 +0100

Hello everyone,
I was wondering which display driver would be a good example on how to use a
linux/unix serial line API.

The background is that following the problems I've had with the pylcd
(http://lists.omnipotent.net/pipermail/lcdproc/2012-November/014074.html) and
not knowing much about neither serial line development in linux nor lcdproc,
I started to experiment writing a stand-alone program to interface the
display, and I am running into the same (timing) issues. Now, since I took
the pylcd as guidline, with termios.h and select(), this might have not a
clever idea to get rid of the issues and find out whether the issues are on
hardware or on driver side.

So, another good clue for me would be whether the termios.h and select()
procedures are still state-of-the-art or whether there is a more modern API
by now. Would maybe boost::asio be able to work on a serial line natively ?
Would this be an option for a lcdproc driver ?

Many thanks in advance,
Manuel Dejonghe

PrimeKey Labs GmbH
Krantzstr. 7 (Halle 15)
52070 Aachen
Germany

  • [Lcdproc] General advice about linux serial communication API, Manuel Dejonghe, 02/04/2013