[Lcdproc] Pictogram specification

  • From: martin at brasskipper.org.uk (Martin T Jones)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Pictogram specification
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 16:38:55 +0000

On 31/12/12 15:08, Markus Dolze wrote:
> Hello LCDproc Developers,
>
> during the past months Stefan Herdler, Wolfgang Hauck, and myself
> discussed how to implement pictograms in LCDproc.
>
> One result of this discussion if the pictogram specification which -
> still incomplete - is available at [1] and in the CVS tree [2].
> Examples of pictograms on displays we already have drivers for can be
> viewed at [3].
>
> [1] http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/docs/pictogram-spec.html
> [2]
> http://lcdproc.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lcdproc/lcdproc/docs/pictogram-spec.rst?view=log
>

> [3] http://mmdolze.users.sourceforge.net/lcdproc-pictograms.html
>
> We appreciate any comments from the community.
>
> Regards,
> Markus

For boolean-type pictograms it might be useful to support the same
values as the backlight:

backlight { on | off | toggle | blink | flash }

Numeric-type pictograms typically have a small number of steps between
off and maximum, a value 0-1000 is consistent with other interfaces but
users should be able to expect drivers to implement a common mapping to
the number of steps to display. Maybe the API should recomend the
mapping E.g.

display_value = (value * MAX_STEPS + 500 / MAX_STEPS) / 1000

Martin