[Lcdproc] Problems with Pyramid-Display

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Problems with Pyramid-Display
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 07:28:02 +0100

Hi,

On 29.10.2012 19:02, Manuel Dejonghe wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am currently encountering some problems with some Pyramid Displays that
> we got. The displayed text seldom makes sense and reacts to keypresses only
> very very late.

Which version of LCDproc to you use? Versions prior to 0.5.5 had some
problems communicating with Pyramid displays.

Which OS are you using? On Linux there are known problems perhaps
related to hi-resolution timers. Read
http://lists.omnipotent.net/pipermail/lcdproc/2009-September/013089.html.

> The connection to the display generally seems okay: I tried to send the
> "output"-command via telnet, and the LED went on and off immediately, as
> expected. Also, when I crank up the ReportLevel, I can see the
> keypress-Events on the Host with only slight delay.
> Also the display generally seems okay, the heartbeat flickers "naturally".
> Not quite as fast and flicker-free as I have seen on some other
> LCDproc-Displays in youtube, but it seems okay.
> It's just that the keypresses (like a "down" in the options-menu) seem to
> be executed only very late, much delayed, if it leads to a reaction at all.
>
> What is your experience ? Could it be I am having a defect display ?
> I have been through the LCDd.conf and lcd*.conf and did not see, but is
> there maybe somewhere a setting for the serial connection (like 8N1, 9600)
> I should check ?

I just hooked up my one and did not see any problems with text display
like you described (running on FreeBSD). Keys do work fine, too. Beside
the device setting, the Pyramid driver does not have any configuration
options.

> Is there somewhere some documentation about the protocol spoken to the
> display ? I'd love to tap that connection for debugging, or also to
> simulate either side of the communication.

Yes, there is. I am currently checking if I am allowed to redistribute it.

The communication involves ETX/STX characters and a checksum, so you
will likely not be able to 'telnet' do the device itself.

I used socat for serial port monitoring while updating the driver last
year. See
http://mmdolze.users.sourceforge.net/serial-port-monitoring.html for how
I did this.

> Also, the pyramid pcb has another 4pin header. Would that happen to be a
> serial connection ?

Can't answer that.

> thank you very much for answers to any of my questions :)
>
> best regards,
> Manuel Dejonghe

Regards,
Markus Dolze