[Lcdproc] Deprecating the glcdlib driver

  • From: lucianm at users.sourceforge.net (Lucian Muresan)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Deprecating the glcdlib driver
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:06:36 +0200

Hi there,

sorry to bring up again such an old thread now, I haven't followed the
list lately...

On 15.07.2012 10:26, Markus Dolze wrote:
[...]
> With the 'glcd' driver supporting 'serdisplib' directly, one can use a
> number of graphical displays right away.

As GraphLCD actually supports much more drivers than those supported via
serdisplib, please re-consider the intended deprecation.

>> If it hasn't successfully built in years, I can't imagine who could be
>> using it, but perhaps someone is using it with an older version of
>> LCDproc and it's keeping them from upgrading?

Maybe this confusion happened also due to the fact that the glcdlib
documentation itself still mentions the old and abandoned GraphLCD
website, I forgot about that and updated the link to the new GraphLCD
project hosted only on the "GLCDprocDriver" homepage here
http://projects.vdr-developer.org/projects/show/graphlcd I think more
than 2 years ago...

> GraphLCD development ceased until it was moved to the VDR community. I
> have to admit that I missed that. I will check the new version again.

Indeed, GraphLCD development has not stopped, graphlcd-base-0.1.9 can be
built and used together with glcdprocdriver-0.0.6 to support the glcdlib
driver.
In fact, last night I updated glcdprocdriver to version 0.1.0 which will
only support the not yet released GraphLCD "touchcol" branch:
http://projects.vdr-developer.org/projects/graphlcd-base/repository/show?rev=touchcol
and that fact eventually brought LCDproc again into my attention.
I will hopefully update the GLCDprocDriver homepage by this weekend, as
I intend to only host version 0.0.6 at the current location and point to
github from version 0.1.0 upwards.

Regards,
Lucian

PS: BTW, graphlcd-base "touchcol", glcdprocdriver-0.1.0 which I'll
publish by the weekend work just fine with current LCDproc v0.5.5,
and so should graphlcd-base-0.1.9 together with glcdprocdriver-0.0.6