[Lcdproc] New Driver: SDEC LCD for Watchguard Firebox

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] New Driver: SDEC LCD for Watchguard Firebox
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 17:17:14 +0100

Hi,

On 10.01.2012 16:56, Firebox LED wrote:
> All,
> I would like to submit my driver code for inclusion in the LCDproc
> project.
> The driver is for the 1U Firebox firewall appliances made by
> Watchguard. They are sold under various model numbers within the
> X-Core, X-Core-e and X-Peak product lines. These boxes feature a 20x2
> Text LCD from SDEC, interfaced in through the parallel port. These
> appliances are i386-based. There is also a 4-button keypad. As these
> boxes have reached End-Of-Life, they are fairly inexpensive to
> acquire. There is dedicated group of enthusiasts running the pfSense
> firewall distribution (based on FreeBSD 8.2). I run the Debian-based
> Vyatta distribution.
> The code is available here:
> https://github.com/fmertz/sdeclcd/tree/sdec
> It is on the sdec branch off of the master branch. I?d be happy to
> submit the code in whatever form is preferred. I did my best to follow
> the guidelines in the documentation for code style, code documentation
> and overall documentation.
> At this point, the code was confirmed running on Linux (Debian/Vyatta)
> and pfSense/FreeBSD. It compiles fine on OpenBSD 4.3 but fails in 5.0,
> as reported previously on this list. Let me know if there are
> additional requirements.

I am aware of that driver as I know some pfSense guys use it. There
already had been a request to add it back in 2010 [1] which was denied
as I only add drivers on the original author's request.

Looking at the driver it is so damn close to the hd44780 that it may had
been a lot easier to implement it as a connection type to that one if
not a few things made differently (e.g. the heartbeat). But anyway, your
driver is complete.

To add it to LCDproc I need a patch either against our latest CVS
version (preferred) or the latest release source code.

But before you do that you need to make clear statement about the
copyright. See the code referenced in [1] which is copright JJ Goessens
who is also listed as a contributor in you code. If you based your
driver on code written by Goessens he needs to appear in the copyright line.

[1] http://lists.omnipotent.net/pipermail/lcdproc/2010-July/013314.html

Regards,
Markus