[Lcdproc] Some advice on 5.25" bay graphic LCD module or VFD

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Some advice on 5.25" bay graphic LCD module or VFD
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 16:33:18 +0100

Hi,

On 06.01.2012 20:52, Kaya Saman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first up I'd like to ask what a good USB 5.25" LCD or VFD module is???
>
> The bigger the display area the better for me and touch screen is not
> necessary.
>
> I have looked at CrystalFontz and MatrixOrbital and they look really
> interesting.

The Crystalfontz models (533 / 63x) work quite well with LCDproc (note
the temperature and fan control stuff is not supported). MatrixOrbital
devices work equally well, but have not been tested recently.

> I don't know much about LCD module's for computer bays and would like
> to get more into it by adding them into my server bays. Ideally I
> would like to make use of the graphic features on the LCD panels but I
> have read in the lcdproc documentation that it is not supported??
>
> Would it be just worth getting a simple monochrome text LCD and
> displaying bargraphs and text info or would I actually be able to make
> use of the graphical features with lcdproc.

LCDproc does not support 'graphical features' like drawing images or GUI
elements. You will just get text, bar graphs, and a few icons.

> Currently I am using lcd4linux on one box which has a built in PicoLCD
> display - the Mini-Box M300 model which does a good job but segfaults
> when I try to use the buttons and the support is quite limited too as
> the mailing list is pretty low traffic. For someone like myself with
> not much knowledge or experience in the area it's quite difficult to
> get things working with what I want to display.

The PicoLCD displays work with LCDproc as well and there have been no
reports about segfaults recently. If you already own one you may give it
a try with LCDproc.

Regards,
Markus