[Lcdproc] Using LCDproc with SPI displays

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Using LCDproc with SPI displays
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 21:06:43 +0100

Hi,

SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) is a high speed, synchronous serial
bus typically used to connect devices to a micro-controller. Some
display controllers like KS0073 and KS0074 (and clones) do not only
support the 'standard' 4bit and 8bit connection modes but SPI as well.
SPI uses 4 wires - a few more than I2C, but can operate at higher speed.

I had a VLGEM1021-03 lying around for some time until I found out that
it uses SPI and started working with it.

The traditional way of hooking things up to your PC a decade ago was to
use the parallel port. But bit-banging SPI on the parallel port for such
a display sounds like a bad idea.

Therefore I took a library that implements the SPI interface for a
KS0074 from [1] and the LCD2USB interface from Till Harbaum [2] and
created my own demo. Although not being perfect, it works nicely. See
[3] and [4] for more info. On my Skydrive gallery you will also find
pictures of other displays I have played with.

[1]
http://www.schorsch.at/en/technical/microcontroller/25-lcd-vlgem-1021-03.html
[2] http://harbaum.org/till/lcd2usb/index.shtml
[3] http://mmdolze.users.sourceforge.net/spilcd.html
[4]
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b1338919b980c674&id=B1338919B980C674%21239

Have a nice holiday!
Markus

  • [Lcdproc] Using LCDproc with SPI displays, Markus Dolze, 12/23/2011