[Lcdproc] Patch for lcd2usb

  • From: lists at follefuder.org (Michael Zanetti)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Patch for lcd2usb
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:51:13 +0100

Hi,

On Tuesday 21 December 2010 11:06:38 Michael Zanetti wrote:
> What about using Bus-ID and Device-ID where the device is attached? AFAIK
> it should be easy to get them in the code without changing the devices
> firmwares and the user can easily obtain it using lsusb.

Never mind this... I just realized that the device id changes each time the
device gets unplugged so this is obviously not a solution. First I thought
they would be always the same for the same USB port.

Indeed to me (I'm really not a USB expert) it seems using the serial number
would be the only working solution to let the user choose which device to
use.
I have been in contact with Till Harbaum and I think he would have no problem
releasing a new firmware version that has the serial field set up properly.
The
bigger problem is how to keep the serial id unique on open hardware (given
that the user can just download a firmware containing one serial-ID and flash
it
to all of its devices). This could be however workarounded by falling back to
to the old mechanism if the field has not been filled out prior to flashing
or
duplicate IDs are detected.

The next problem is how LCDd parses its config file. If I add two "Driver="
entries and then add two sections "[hd44780]", config_get_string() just gives
me the entries in the first section twice. So it is not possible to define
two
devices using the same driver but differently configured serial numbers.

As I'm still pretty new to LCDproc's codebase I might be overlooking
something.

Anyone has an idea how to solve this issues in a clean manner?

Cheers,
Michael