[Lcdproc] Ricavision VFD USB module

  • From: petr at palacky.net (Petr Palacký)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Ricavision VFD USB module
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:41:44 +0100

Hi Markus,

thank you for your answer.

I tried to modify the file "mdm166a.c" for matching right vendor/product ID
(13ec:0030) but with no success.
LCDd start successfully and with no errors reported, but VFD display does not
show anything than built-in clock.
I think we can be close but probably communication protocol may be different
than which is used in Futaba's mdm166a.

I tried to search more info about my VFD module and I found that this VFD
module (CWT-7046 V08) was produced by CWTek (http://www.cwtek.com.tw/) - I
sent them a request for communication protocol... (still no answer, I do not
know if I will be successfull).

Also I found that this VFD looks identically like Futaba's "DM-140 GINK" (see
image: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/File:Dm-140gink_front.jpg) but with no
buttons, icons on the sides are exactly the same.
Better photos of my VFD (CWT-7046) can be found here:
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/external-display-115/vfd-cwt-7048-a-77819/

I tried to modify vendor/product IDs in file "dm140.c" (source code of
lcdproc-0.5.2 modified by Henrik Larsson with support for "dm140" can be
found here: https://zeb.slsp.se/daylight/lcdproc-0.5.2-henlar-v0.2.tar.gz)
but still with no succes...

... LCDd ending up with error:

# /usr/local/sbin/LCDd -c /usr/local/etc/LCDd.conf -d dm140 -f -r 5
Server running in foreground
Listening for queries on 127.0.0.1:13666
screenlist_init()
driver_load(name="dm140", filename="/usr/local/lib/lcdproc/dm140.so")
Allocating memory for framebuffer[0]

Allocating memory for framebuffer[1]

Device for Vendor[13ec] Product[0030] was not found, exiting

Driver [dm140] init failed, return code < 0
Module /usr/local/lib/lcdproc/dm140.so could not be loaded
Could not load driver dm140
There is no output driver
Critical error while initializing, abort.

Is there any other solution on how to make work CWT-7046 with Linux?

Thank you for any help
--
Petr Palacky

--

S pozdravem
--

Outgoing message is virus free
because we are using Linux.

Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.7, kernel 2.6.26-2-686.