[Lcdproc] Fwd: lcdproc on FreeBSD with lis driver

  • From: wyatt at prairieturtle.ca (Daryl F)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Fwd: lcdproc on FreeBSD with lis driver
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:34:58 -0600 (CST)

Tom,

The lis driver must have thread support to work. It will only work with a
very specific VLSys VFD. At power on the display must say it is a L.I.S.
MCE 2005 or it is likely this driver will not work and will indeed hang
LCDd.

Markus was right. The thread will never return until shutdown. It is
specifically a loop to keep a read up on the FTDI chip at all times. The
main thread uses a semaphore to break the loop and end the thread at
shutdown.

VLSys includes firmware between the FTDI chip and the HD44780 chip on the
LIS MCE 2005. The initialization code in the lis driver works only with
that firmware.

<history>
Conversely, I never could get the lis2 HD44780 variant to work with the
MCE 2005. It lacked that specific initialization sequence which I
discovered by snooping the USB stream on a Windows machine using VLSys
supplied driver. VLSys gave approval for this reverse-engineering to be
included in the lis driver and distributed with ldcproc
</history>

So it may not be a bug in BSD pthread but rather the wrong display for the
lis driver. I couldn't find any information at the link you have for the
nMedia 1000 case that clearly said which VLSys lis the display actually
was.

I don't have acess to the MCE 2005 for testing on my BSD machine. It is in
production under Linux and I don't have another to test with.

HTH,
Daryl