[Lcdproc] Driver removal policy

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Driver removal policy
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 00:57:16 +0100

On 21.11.2010 12:44, Dave Liquorice wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 18:22:01 +0100, Markus Dolze wrote:
>> We will ship and support drivers for seven years after production of a
>> device has stopped. We then may declare a driver as deprecated for one
>> additional release (or at least 6 months) and remove it for the release
>> after.
> The right approach but after removal from the main package have it archived
> away somewhere. I can't think of anything more frustrating than knowing
> there was a driver for some still fully functional bit of old hardware only
> to find it's being consigned to the bit bucket. There would be no formal
> support for drivers in the archive.

Hi,

I put together a list of drivers we actually have, the supported device
(and connection types). The list ist quite long:
http://www.lcdproc.org/hardware.php3

While creating that list I thought that I should refine my words about
'shipping and supporting' a driver because several have not been touched
drivers for years (which does not mean they do not work) and the
hardware is not sold anymore.

For now I put a "fully supported" to drivers that are part of my regular
testing before a release happens and "tested" to drivers that I have
verified to work at least once. At the end there are not many of these.

Regards,
Markus