[Lcdproc] running display in new software environment

  • From: root at c-works.net (Harald Latzko)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] running display in new software environment
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 20:42:18 +0100

Hello,

I've got lcdproc 0.5.2 perfectly running in Debian4 (manually compiled kernel
2.6.20, driver "pyramid"). LCDd, lcdproc and lcdexec are working like a
charm, also an own client which just prints out text information on the
display. The four buttons work as configured.
Taking this working system, I upgraded the OS with a fresh installation
Debian 5.0.3, kernel 2.6.26. My first attempts failed:
- just copying over all files from the old installation: lcdexec never shows
any sign of existance when pressing the menu button
- compiling lcdproc 0.5.2 from scratch: pyramid.so doesn't load. Taking the
0.5.2 pyramid.so works, but lcdexec doesn't show up.
- compiling lcdproc 0.5.3 from scratch: same result as 0.5.2 from scratch
- compiling the daily snapshot of 0.5.3 gives the same result
LCDd is running with lcdproc correctly, it displays the correct information.
When running the daemon in foreground and "-r 5" mode I can see heavy traffic
on the server daemon which is not being displayed on the LCD, but it may be
of internal reasons I do not understand.

During trying, I got some strange effect that when lcdexec showed the correct
menu, scrolling through the menu items seemed like "sticked" to the first
page (but the execution of the menu executables behind the menu definition
was triggered correctly): the LCD didn't seem to update fast enough, or even
worse: wasn't updated at all.

The required kernel module ftdi_sio is loaded. I set up the local hostname in
/etc/hosts from 127.0.1.1 to 127.0.0.1 (in addition to "localhost") in order
to keep networking issues out of place. Since the same LCD module works
perfectly in a Debian4 environment (and I can reproduce this): what are the
requirements I might be missing? Does anybody has any hints on that? It would
be very great to get the panel work again with lcdexec.

Regards,
Harald

  • [Lcdproc] running display in new software environment, Harald Latzko, 11/21/2010