[Lcdproc] Driver removal policy

  • From: allsorts at howhill.com (Dave Liquorice)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Driver removal policy
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 11:44:46 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 18:22:01 +0100, Markus Dolze wrote:

> Why should we have one?
>
> - Hardware products come and go. We depend on the device manufacturer to
> sell his products. What will we do if a manufacturer decides to stop
> producing his devices?

Seems sensible for the main package to only have relatively current drivers.

> We will ship and support drivers for seven years after production of a
> device has stopped. We then may declare a driver as deprecated for one
> additional release (or at least 6 months) and remove it for the release
> after.

The right approach but after removal from the main package have it archived
away somewhere. I can't think of anything more frustrating than knowing
there was a driver for some still fully functional bit of old hardware only
to find it's being consigned to the bit bucket. There would be no formal
support for drivers in the archive.

--
Cheers
Dave.