[Lcdproc] Noritake graphical VFD driver

  • From: Ognjen at mailshack.com (Ognjen Bezanov)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Noritake graphical VFD driver
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:50:09 +0000

On 31/10/10 12:00, Peter Wurmsdobler wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> right now we support several Noritake character-based displays with the
>> 'NoritakeVFD' and the 'serialVFD' drivers. If your device understands
>> the serial protocol these device use, you may just use one of those
>> drivers.
> Well, I tried that, but it does obviously not work as my VFD is graphical.
>
>> Additionally you may check the devices supported by the 'glcdlib' driver
>> which in turn uses GraphLCD http://graphlcd.berlios.de/
> GraphLCD contains a similar device GU256x64-3900, and the code looks
> very well designed.
>
> However, I would like to use my VFD in conjunction with XBMC which works
> well with LCDproc. Perhaps it would work with GraphLCD as well, i need
> to check. Nevertheless I will have to make a driver for the GU240x64 and
> as I have already started, I might as well make it compliant to LCDproc
> so it is usefull to more people.
>
> IN the next few weeks I will implement the driver and post my result
> here. Stay tuned.
>
> Cheers,
> peter

Have you looked at serdisplib? http://serdisplib.sourceforge.net/
Rather than making your own driver that is compliant to both lcdproc and
GraphLCD,it might be better to implement a driver for serdisplib.

LCDproc uses serdisplib, and I've been told that graphLCD does as well
(as do many other lcd programs out there), so you would not have to
maintain interfaces for different programs out there, just the one.

Looking forward to what you manage either way! I'm thinking of upgrading
my 2x20 VFD on my XBMC box to a graphical one, so I'll be following this
thread :)