[Lcdproc] lcdproc v0.5.3 - ConnectionType=ftdi [[ Segmentation fault ]]

  • From: thomas.jarosch at intra2net.com (Thomas Jarosch)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] lcdproc v0.5.3 - ConnectionType=ftdi [[ Segmentation fault ]]
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:00:46 +0200

On Sunday, 24. October 2010 21:21:42 Santanu Das wrote:
> > Displays like Mplay (or Crystalfontz or MatrixOrbital) usually have the
> > display connected to a microcontroller instead which takes care of
> > displaying the data. That MC has to be connected to the computer
> > somehow. One common way is to use a FT232 to connect the MC to the PC
> > using USB. On the PC side the display appears as a serial port to
> > which an application (like LCDd) can send/read data.
>
> I think, that's exactly what it does; it uses FT232 USB to COM chip.

That's the tricky part: The chip can be operated in two different modes.
Normal COM serial I/O and bitbang I/O. Bitbang mode disables the
serial handshake and you can control the single I/O lines
much like a parallel port.

Displays normally use a serial COM interface and just add
a FTDI chip to provide an USB interface.

Cheers,
Thomas