[Lcdproc] lcdproc v0.5.3 - ConnectionType=ftdi [[ Segmentation fault ]]

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] lcdproc v0.5.3 - ConnectionType=ftdi [[ Segmentation fault ]]
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 13:57:31 +0200

Hello,

the 'wiring' I talked about earlier refers to the way of connecting a hd44780
display directly to the output lines of a FT2232/245 (which has a parallel
FIFO output).

Displays like Mplay (or Crystalfontz or MatrixOrbital) usually have the
display connected to a microcontroller instead which takes care of displaying
the data. That MC has to be connected to the computer somehow. One common way
is to use a FT232 to connect the MC to the PC using USB. On the PC side the
display appears as a serial port to which an application (like LCDd) can
send/read data.

If your display appears like a serial port to the OS and the Mplay sub-driver
does not work, there may be an issue with the driver itself or you have a
type of display which the sub-driver does not know how to talk to.

I will have a look at the Mplay driver, but I will be away for a few days.

Regards
Markus

-------- Original-Nachricht --------