[Lcdproc] lcdproc v0.5.3 - ConnectionType=ftdi not being recognized

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] lcdproc v0.5.3 - ConnectionType=ftdi not being recognized
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 07:31:58 +0200

On 21.10.2010 02:59, Santanu Das wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I just apt-get [re]installed lcdproc, which essentially installed
> v0.5.3 but if I use
> */ConnectionType=ftdi/* for *hd44780*, I get unknown connection error:
>
> Server running in foreground
> Listening for queries on 127.0.0.1:13666
> screenlist_init()
> driver_load(name="hd44780", filename="/usr/lib/lcdproc/hd44780.so")
> hd44780: unknown ConnectionType: ftdi
> Driver [hd44780] init failed, return code -1
> Module /usr/lib/lcdproc/hd44780.so could not be loaded
> Could not load driver hd44780
> There is no output driver
> Critical error while initializing, abort.
> Does any one know what am I missing? Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Cheers,
> Santanu

Hello Santau,

first of all: Can you tell us how the Mplay VFD is connected to your
computer? What type of cable is it? Does this device appear in your
computers config? If it is connected by USB you should see some USB
device in your system config.

Related to your second message: running LCDd with '-r 5' will produce a
lot of debug output. In your case LCDd did start up and you saw the
debug output for the default server screen.

The FTDI connection type requires the use of libusb and libftdi. Lcdproc
must be compiled with these installed to be able to make use of them. As
I don't know how the Ubuntu package makers configured lcdproc, I suggest
you compile lcdproc from source yourself.

Regards,
Markus