[Lcdproc] graphs

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] graphs
  • Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:49:11 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 22:49:28 -0400
> Von: "Myers, Jon W" <MyersJW at alfredstate.edu>
> An: "lcdproc at lists.omnipotent.net" <lcdproc at lists.omnipotent.net>
> Betreff: [Lcdproc] graphs

> Greetings! I've just recently gotten into lcdproc, and written a client
> to display some basic information, just so I know I can do it.
> I'm using a CrystalFontz 20x4 display (XE634BK-YFB-KU).
> Is it possible to display a "high definition" graph? As in, not using
> whole blocks in a graph, but individual pixels. I've played around with
> vbar,
> but I just cant grasp it.
> a single character block I think is 8x5. So I'd like to be able to light
> up lets say, the bottom 3 pixels on top of eachother (first column), then 7
> pixels in the next column, etc.. etc.. etc.. Is this even possible? I
> was going to cheat, and use set_char to make my own custom characters, but
> it seems set_char is in the driver itself, which I'd rather not touch. But
> I'd like to somehow bitmap a whole block of a line, then still be able to
> print a few text characters at the end of that line (or I can bitmap those
> as well I suppose, creating my own fontset if I have to).
>
> I've tried "widget_set test vbar 1 4 7", and such, and have only gotten a
> single solid line on the bottom of that character. in the docs, vbar talks
> about "x,y". Does it mean x,y as in character positions, or pixels?
>
> Also, if this can indeed be done, is there a driver for X? (The display
> is at work, and I'm at home, so trying to play on my local machine here, and
> the curses driver is text only, so vbars might not work, even if I can
> address indiv. pixels).
>
> - - - Jon

Hi,

bars do make use of lines/columns within a character. There are some
restrictions however:

- hBars only grow from left to right and (usually - depending on the driver)
take up the full height of a cell.
- vBars only grow from buttom to top and take up the full width of a cell.
- It is not possible to show pixels "in the middle of a bar".
- The width/height is given in colums/rows, whereas the position is given in
charcters.

Thus "vbar 1 4 7" should display a vertical bar starting in colum 1, row 4 of
the display and should be 7 pixels height (a full block).

I currently don't have my Crystalfontz displays at hand, but I will check
this next week.

Regarding custom characters: There is no way do use your own custom
characters with LCDproc except you modify the source yourself.

There is an "xosd" driver that may work for you. See
http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/docs/current-user.html#xosd-howto.

Regards,
Markus