[Lcdproc] PT6311-LQ VFD?

  • From: chmeredith at gmail.com (Christopher Meredith)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] PT6311-LQ VFD?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:43:29 -0600

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Christopher Meredith
<chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 1/11/10, Christopher Meredith <chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have a VFD with a chip stamped "PT6311-LQ." It has what appears to
>>> be a 6-pin connection from the motherboard with leads marked:
>>>
>>> DATA - CS - CLK - I.R. - GND - GPIO24
>>>
>>> I found a datasheet for the PT6311 here:
>>>
>>> http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/P/T/6/3/PT6311.shtml
>>
>> Looks like a fun little chip.
>>
>>> I suspect the PT6311-LQ is similar. Is there any chance of getting
>>> this to work with lcdproc or am I barking up the wrong tree? This is a
>>> VFD used in a standalone Bluray player and I'd like to see if I can
>>> put it to my own uses.
>>
>> It has, according to the datasheet, a 3-wire interface - you'd have to
>> find the right datasheet with the command protocol, then build an
>> interface (probably easiest off of a parallel port unless you wanted
>> to hack an existing USB-based AVR project), then map what command bits
>> go to which segments (since the chip doesn't know/doesn't care). ?Even
>> with an eventual target of a USB interface (because so few machines
>> have parallel ports anymore), it would probably be easier to get the
>> interface working and map out the segments if you directly attached
>> the VFD to your development machine. ?You could start with the USB MCU
>> in-between from the get-go, but you'd be debugging two command
>> channels simultaneously, adding to the complexity.
>>
>> Yes, I think it could be done. ?Yes, it will require a lot of coding.
>
> Hi Ethan, thanks for your response. I found a more detailed datasheet
> from the manufacturer here:
>
> http://www.princeton.com.tw/downloadprocess/downloadfile.asp?mydownload=PT6311.pdf
>
> This datasheet also accounts for the differences between the PT6311
> and the PT6311-LQ (which is the one I have). I've also taken some
> photos of the module I have. Those pictures are located here:
>
> http://monopedilos.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=70&page=1
>
> You can click through to see the full-res pictures. As you can see,
> it's not a multipurpose display, but it has elements for numbers in
> time format as well as video and audio formats. As I said, this would
> be a great HTPC module, if it could be made to work.
>
> I am not a programmer, but I would really like to see this thing
> working. I will do anything I can to help, including loaning the
> module to someone who is wiling to do the coding. Are there any
> takers?
>
> Thanks!

I'd like to repeat this offer to loan this module to anyone who is
interested in working on this. I'll do it on a compulsory buyback
basis. I will give you the module. If you end up getting it working,
you have to sell it back to me. :) I'm making this offer again before
tossing it since I need to clean house. Thanks all!

  • [Lcdproc] PT6311-LQ VFD?, Christopher Meredith, 03/22/2010