[Lcdproc] Onexit=1 not working Ubuntu 9.10

  • From: jarod at wilsonet.com (Jarod Wilson)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Onexit=1 not working Ubuntu 9.10
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:00:37 -0500

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 12:12 PM, jk <fblack947 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jarod, you've become my source for lirc knowledge (:} )
> ... do you know if the behaviour described below has been investigated by
> the lirc team? ?I'm nearly 100% positive that it's not a problem with
> lcdproc. ? (Well, other than the fact that lcdproc relies upon the lirc usb
> driver...)

I've looked at it a tiny bit, as have a few other folks. My own LCD
device has this same problem, but the backlight doesn't come back on
until *after* the machine is powered off, so I'm not quite sure how it
could be the driver at fault. There's a specific 'shut off the
display' string sent to the display by the lcdproc driver, iirc, so
when the LCDd service is stopped on my box, the display goes off, then
the machine powers off, then the display lights back up a bit later.
That shut-off string matches what people have snooped under windows,
so I'm mostly clueless as to what the problem is -- some sort of reset
of the usb bus that happens when the kernel finally exits?

Sadly, I just don't have time, energy or desire to investigate this
one more myself right now. But its definitely not an oddity of how
Ubuntu shuts down, or at least not one specific to Ubuntu, as it
happens the same way with the distro I run too (Fedora 12, 64-bit).
Don't see anything at a glance in Fedora's shutdown initscripts I
could blame.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com