[Lcdproc] [Fwd: Futaba dm-140gink VFD device needs driver]

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] [Fwd: Futaba dm-140gink VFD device needs driver]
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:18:27 +0100

On 29.01.2010 00:00, Daryl F wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Markus Dolze wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I would like you to refer to this newly submitted feature request (see
>> below) and request your opinion. I am specially concerned about adding
>> 3rd party code from AMD (although released under GPL) into LCDproc. Who
>> is going to support this?
>>
>> Right now, I will not add the patch due to formal reasons. See SF ticket.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Markus

Actually I had seen that Ubuntu bug when I prepared 0.5.3 but decided
not to take action on my own.

Searching for "libvfd" shows that only a few other projects (linuxmce,
minimyth) use this code as well, but there is no trace to an offical AMD
source.

If "libvfd" was a 3rd party library that we could dynamically link
against it would be much more easier to include only the "bridge"
driver, like we have ones for svga, xosd...

In my response to the Sourceforge ticket I put the rules I apply for new
drivers. They address most of what you mentioned above.

Markus