[Lcdproc] install-server target installs client doco

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] install-server target installs client doco
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:17:37 +0100

On 29.01.2010 15:32, Larson, Timothy E. wrote:
>> For server LCDd.8 and lcdproc-config.5 are installed. For clients
>> lcdproc.1, lcdexec.1, lcdvc.1, and lcdproc-config.5 are installed.
>> That's correct.
>>
>> man_MANS and man#_MANS should have the same result in our case, as
>> we name the man files by their correct section number (.1 .5 .8).
>
> IIRC, there was some handling for the man#_MANS, but they were just
> never defined separately, AFAICT. That's why it seemed unfinished to
> me.

Yes, I was surprised by that, too. Although I couldn't find that
behaviour described in automake documentation, the Makefile.in generated
from Makefile.am does contain install-man# targets for each man section
and parses the content of man_MANS as well.

>> I don't know why there are no separate uninstall targets, but a
>> 'make uninstall' suceeds in both cases. On most OS uninstallation
>> is handled OS specific packaging tools anyway.
>
> Correct. I'm packaging lcdproc as "server" and "clients" packages,
> as there will certainly be times when you only want clients. I don't
> want uninstalling one to wipe out the docs for the other. That's how
> I stumbled upon this.

That's a good point. If you actually have installed both and only want
to uninstall one of server / clients, we would need separate uninstall
targets for them. As uninstall-man# targets are already automatically
created by automake it should not be too difficult to implement this.

Regards,
Markus