[Lcdproc] [Fwd: Futaba dm-140gink VFD device needs driver]

  • From: wyatt at prairieturtle.ca (Daryl F)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] [Fwd: Futaba dm-140gink VFD device needs driver]
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:00:08 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Markus Dolze wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I would like you to refer to this newly submitted feature request (see
> below) and request your opinion. I am specially concerned about adding
> 3rd party code from AMD (although released under GPL) into LCDproc. Who
> is going to support this?
>
> Right now, I will not add the patch due to formal reasons. See SF ticket.
>
> Regards,
> Markus

Hi Markus,

I'm not a GPL attorney so this is only my opinion.

Some of the file _seem_ to be covered by GPL by Advanced Micro Devices. It
would be best if we knew where they came from originally to verify that
someone along the way didn't simply put the GPL in them.

Other files, like dm140.c, is copyright by Henrik, with no mention of
either AMD or a GPL release. This is where I get edgy. It would be better
if Henrik clearly releases his code under GPL.

Also, there is an AMD logo built in to the graphics. See amd_logo in
led.c. It doesn't seem to be used anywhere but I imagine AMD has strict
controls on their logo. It should be removed so it is never accidently
displayed in the future.

When I wrote the lis driver by snooping the wire protocol from the
non-free Windows drivers, Peter wanted clear, public, permission from the
vendor before incorporating it to lcdproc.

Better to err on the safe side than jeopardize the future of lcdproc and
the hardwork everyone has put into all of it.

I would suggest that Henrik or some of the other users that are interested
in the driver should contact AMD for specific permission to use the code
in this manner.

Finally, I want to thank you for stepping up for Peter. You've been doing
a great service.

-Daryl