[Lcdproc] Older vfd lockups

  • From: fblack947 at yahoo.com (jk)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Older vfd lockups
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:18:15 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message ----
> From: Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>
>
> I think lcdproc still needs some manual config to tell it exactly what
> device type it is you want it to talk to, otherwise, (I assume) it
> would have to load up *all* drivers and try them out, and/or have its
> own internal device ID to driver mapping table or other similar
> insanity. It *would* be nice, however, if the imonlcd driver could
> figure out from usb device ID whether it needed to use Protocol=0 or
> 1, and eliminate the user having to figure that out/remember to put it
> into their config. Not a big deal though, only has to be done once, so
> I haven't bothered to look into it myself...

I looked into this when I was helping to bring the imonlcd driver up to
release-ready. I was actually wondering why we needed to depend on lirc for
the USB interface, and then I looked at the lirc code... Decided to keep
as-is and use a simple (and hopefully well-documented) configuration
parameter. Allows for future expansion for different protocols too.

> >> Is this in the lcdproc driver? Nobody ever got back to me with any
> >> useful feedback on whether adding a delay in the kernel driver helped
> >> with this issue...
> >
> > Actually, it might be a driver-specific thing. Some drivers have this
> function, others don't (see DELAYMULT parameter in hd44780-low.h and
> hd44780.c).
>
> Ah, hm. So maybe we need it added to the imon{,lcd} drivers?
>
> > I don't remember the discussion about delays in the kernel driver. Might
> > have
> been before I was involved.
>
> It was over on the lirc list, if I'm thinking clearly.

Ahhh. I try to leave lirc to the experts. :}

You also hit the nail on the head with some of the issues with lcdproc
development: too many different displays, too few developers. Heck, my
display isn't even hooked up these days! (Only because I've made the switch
to digital cable, which rendered the htpc mostly redundant - plus the fact
that we still haven't figured out why the imon lcd backlight comes back on
after shutdown).

-jonathan