[Lcdproc] Older vfd lockups

  • From: fblack947 at yahoo.com (jk)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Older vfd lockups
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:28:53 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message ----
> From: Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>
> Outside of the ffdc devices, you shouldn't have to touch a damned
> thing, auto-detection of display type and auto-config of stuff should
> Just Work.

Agreed, but is this a function of Ubuntu packaging, or should lcdproc be
figuring things out?
A philosophical question to be sure, but my approach was to let the end-user
(or the ubuntu packager) adjust the configuration file are required.

> Would be much easier to debug these problems if I actually had an imon
> device that exhibited them, both my (newer than ffdc) VFD and LCD work
> flawlessly though. :\

Yeah, that's a tough one - too many friggin different devices and
protocols. Coupled with a complete lack of linux support from
SoundGraph. Sigh.

> > ...I think there also was (still is?) a parameter setting to limit the
> > frequency of
>> the screen refresh, which might still be there, and might help.
>
> Is this in the lcdproc driver? Nobody ever got back to me with any
> useful feedback on whether adding a delay in the kernel driver helped
> with this issue...

Actually, it might be a driver-specific thing. Some drivers have this
function, others don't (see DELAYMULT parameter in hd44780-low.h and
hd44780.c).

I don't remember the discussion about delays in the kernel driver. Might
have been before I was involved.

-jonathan