[Lcdproc] Older vfd lockups

  • From: fblack947 at yahoo.com (jk)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Older vfd lockups
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 06:10:08 -0800 (PST)

I'm shooting from the hip on this one. If anyone with more imon (vfd) driver
experience wants to drop in, it'd be appreciated!

> I will have another go. I hadn't seen this page before, although there is
> very
> little in it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IMON_VFD_and_LCD_Karmic_9.10

That's a pretty good page. Not much on troubleshooting, but I'll have to
keep it in my bookmarks...

> > LIRC has been working with :ffdc devices for a while now, and LCDPROC
> since it's most recent version, v0.5.3.
>
> Yes I see that it has been supported for a while. I guess I was wondering
> if
> something that is changing in the underlying kernel is causing these
> devices to
> break. Problems with locking up seem to be relatively common on this list,
> across a number of devices, somewhat resolved with some delays, which is
> why I
> tried this.

I'm far more familiar with the imonlcd driver, which branched off from the
imon (vfd) driver a while ago.

A buffer was added to the imonlcd driver, so that it wouldn't update the
display if nothing changed. This apparently helped with "faster" computers.
I think there also was (still is?) a parameter setting to limit the frequency
of the screen refresh, which might still be there, and might help.

Is there a way you can isolate lcdproc from lirc to determine whether the
issue is in lcdproc client, lcdproc server, lirc, or something else? You're
lirc debugging looks to be going in that direction.

For example, what causes "send_packet: task interrupted" and "send_packet:
error submitting urb(-22)" ?

Good luck, and keep us posted!

-jonathan