[Lcdproc] PT6311-LQ VFD?

  • From: chmeredith at gmail.com (Christopher Meredith)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] PT6311-LQ VFD?
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:10:16 -0600

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/11/10, Christopher Meredith <chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a VFD with a chip stamped "PT6311-LQ." It has what appears to
>> be a 6-pin connection from the motherboard with leads marked:
>>
>> DATA - CS - CLK - I.R. - GND - GPIO24
>>
>> I found a datasheet for the PT6311 here:
>>
>> http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/P/T/6/3/PT6311.shtml
>
> Looks like a fun little chip.
>
>> I suspect the PT6311-LQ is similar. Is there any chance of getting
>> this to work with lcdproc or am I barking up the wrong tree? This is a
>> VFD used in a standalone Bluray player and I'd like to see if I can
>> put it to my own uses.
>
> It has, according to the datasheet, a 3-wire interface - you'd have to
> find the right datasheet with the command protocol, then build an
> interface (probably easiest off of a parallel port unless you wanted
> to hack an existing USB-based AVR project), then map what command bits
> go to which segments (since the chip doesn't know/doesn't care). ?Even
> with an eventual target of a USB interface (because so few machines
> have parallel ports anymore), it would probably be easier to get the
> interface working and map out the segments if you directly attached
> the VFD to your development machine. ?You could start with the USB MCU
> in-between from the get-go, but you'd be debugging two command
> channels simultaneously, adding to the complexity.
>
> Yes, I think it could be done. ?Yes, it will require a lot of coding.

Hi Ethan, thanks for your response. I found a more detailed datasheet
from the manufacturer here:

http://www.princeton.com.tw/downloadprocess/downloadfile.asp?mydownload=PT6311.pdf

This datasheet also accounts for the differences between the PT6311
and the PT6311-LQ (which is the one I have). I've also taken some
photos of the module I have. Those pictures are located here:

http://monopedilos.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=70&page=1

You can click through to see the full-res pictures. As you can see,
it's not a multipurpose display, but it has elements for numbers in
time format as well as video and audio formats. As I said, this would
be a great HTPC module, if it could be made to work.

I am not a programmer, but I would really like to see this thing
working. I will do anything I can to help, including loaning the
module to someone who is wiling to do the coding. Are there any
takers?

Thanks!