[Lcdproc] PT6311-LQ VFD?

  • From: ethan.dicks at gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] PT6311-LQ VFD?
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:30:33 -0500

On 1/11/10, Christopher Meredith <chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a VFD with a chip stamped "PT6311-LQ." It has what appears to
> be a 6-pin connection from the motherboard with leads marked:
>
> DATA - CS - CLK - I.R. - GND - GPIO24
>
> I found a datasheet for the PT6311 here:
>
> http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/P/T/6/3/PT6311.shtml

Looks like a fun little chip.

> I suspect the PT6311-LQ is similar. Is there any chance of getting
> this to work with lcdproc or am I barking up the wrong tree? This is a
> VFD used in a standalone Bluray player and I'd like to see if I can
> put it to my own uses.

It has, according to the datasheet, a 3-wire interface - you'd have to
find the right datasheet with the command protocol, then build an
interface (probably easiest off of a parallel port unless you wanted
to hack an existing USB-based AVR project), then map what command bits
go to which segments (since the chip doesn't know/doesn't care). Even
with an eventual target of a USB interface (because so few machines
have parallel ports anymore), it would probably be easier to get the
interface working and map out the segments if you directly attached
the VFD to your development machine. You could start with the USB MCU
in-between from the get-go, but you'd be debugging two command
channels simultaneously, adding to the complexity.

Yes, I think it could be done. Yes, it will require a lot of coding.

-ethan