[Lcdproc] Can't get this thing working...

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Can't get this thing working...
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 23:03:09 +0100

Thorsten Godau wrote:
> It's a pity. I really like the LCDproc package and the final aim is
> still to have the display running directly via parallel port.
> IMHO it is an unfortunate combination of things that makes my
> display not running corrctly with LCDproc.
> One thing could be a critical timing together with a bad initalisation
> sequence and the other thing could be, that most of the signals on my
> parallel port are high in idle state (pulled up with a resistor according
> to the manual of the SBC). I also can see this with my scope. Most of the
> time all the display controlling signals are high, going low for short
> pulses. I expected an opposite beaviour. Maybe that's the crux.
> Something in the inialisation phase confuses the display and corrupts
> the init sequence. Othewise it would not run with ldc4linux...

Hello list,

today I received my EA DIP204-4. Together with a PCB Thorsten sent to me
I was able to get LCDproc running. There was no change necessary. The
only thing to note is that the contrast setting is different from most
other HD44780 displays. On these displays one sets the contrast to show
the black lines afte power-up. With the DIP204-4 setting the contrast
this way is wrong, one has to set it to just *not* show the the black lines.

I tried it successfully with the 4bit and winamp wiring. It even works
with a LCD2USB device, although the device's initialization fails. Once
LCDd did the reset by instruction it works anyway. Even brightness and
contrast settings work, although the latter has its values reversed
(higher values mean less contrast).

For a limited time a video showing the working device can be found here:

http://mdolze.gmxhome.de/images/ea_dip204-4.wmv

We are suspecting something like quoted above is going wrong with
Thorsten's SBC and we will continue to find out what.

Regards,
Markus

  • [Lcdproc] Can't get this thing working..., Markus Dolze, 01/07/2010