[Lcdproc] #twatch network LCD backpack

  • From: ethan.dicks at gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] #twatch network LCD backpack
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:11:17 -0500

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 4:01 PM, David Glaude <david.glaude at gmail.com>
wrote:
> However, I have a Mac mini running Snow Leopard under my finger...
> A nice asset if there is no active maintainer for the OSX version of
> LCDproc.
> Does it build without too much trouble with Apple provided compiler and
> other tools?

I have built LCDproc in the past (2007/2008) on a Macbook pro (Intel,
10.4.3). It was a work laptop that I returned some months ago, so I
no longer have it, but ISTR it was easy to get working with libusb and
an LCD2USB (Till Harbaum's device) once I figured out that the
hardware worked better on the other side of a USB hub (voltage
problems with the older rev hardware). The same rig worked just fine
with a Matrix Orbital serial-interface VFD. It was my desktop machine
for over a year and I had LCDproc running on it the entire time.

> If it compile and work on my Box and that Ethan can double check that the
> same code compile and run as expected on his how hardware (+ an additionnal
> friend with the same hardware) then I think it should be good enough for
> merging into a futur release of LCDproc.

Happy to help. I have a Linux laptop ready to go.

> But I am not coding yet and I need to clear the thing below.
>
>> and because I should clear with my day job any issue
>> about my right to release software I develop during the night under
>> GPL.

Entirely understood.

I've worked at places that wanted me to sign an intellectual property
agreement. I have responded with "if you sign mine, too" - I do that
to exclude some commercial products I've sold in the past as well as
open source projects I've worked with - that way, I have it on paper
that my new employer agrees that they do not own any interest or
ownership in works related to those specific projects - yes, I have
explicitly included LCDproc by name in those agreements over the
years. Since I'm clear about what the company does not own, I've
never had an employer refuse to sign mine when I sign theirs.

It does help to get it clear on the way in the door, though.

-ethan