[Lcdproc] Help with lcd JHD 204A

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Help with lcd JHD 204A
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 22:57:37 +0200

Helian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is my first post here, sorry if this is the wrong place.
> I'm trying to configure a 20x4 lcd using the parallel port and the
> "winamp" wiring scheme with lcdproc 0.5.3. The datasheet for this lcd
> can be found at
> http://www.8051projects.net/e107_files/public/1231066792_13674_FT0_jm204aspec.pdf
> The problem is that I can't display anything, the lcd only shows
> garbage. I've tried theExtendedMode and all 4 CharMaps, but none works.
> To check my soldering I've tried lcdcenter 2.0 in windows, and it
> works fine, using the 44780 driver.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix it ?

Hi,

the datasheets does not contain any unusual settings at a first glance.

Are you using lcdproc and lcdcenter on the same computer? (BTW: where
did you get lcdcenter? I found a lot of forums talking about it, but no
download site.) On which OS are you running lcdproc?

How exactly does "garbage" look like, e.g. do you see characters
misplaced or are there no characters at all?

Some things to check:

* Is the display powered using the computers power supply or do they
at least use the same ground? If not, connect display GND to pins
18-25 on the parallel port.
* Check especially the EN (PP.1), RW (PP.14), and RS (PP.16) lines
(PP = parallel port). Those may differ slightly from other
connection types found out there.

Regards,
Markus