[Lcdproc] imonlcd patch and mythtv

  • Subject: [Lcdproc] imonlcd patch and mythtv
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 16:39:12 +1000

Hi all,

I'm running a mythtv box on Ubuntu with an Antec Fusion case. I've
had to do a bit of patching to get it all going and I've just recently
started trying to get all the patches (mostly not mine) committed and
released so that they can make it into Ubuntu Karmic. That's the
context for the patch I sent to this mailing list a few days ago
commenting out a return statement.

I haven't actually been running lcdproc 0.5.3. Rather I've been
running 0.5.2 with the imonlcd drivers added. (I'm also running the
standard ubuntu mythtv 0.21-fixes.) With that setup the patch I
submitted works well. When the backlight is switched off, the display
turns off and everything is good.

With the imminent release of lcdproc 0.5.3 I thought I should test
CVS head. As is known, it fails with mythtv 0.21-fixes. So I patched
my mythtv with this patch http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/20559
which is the supposed fix. With that patch, lcdproc head seemed to
mostly work, except for one thing - now the lcd display was flashing
with about a 5 second interval.

This seems to describe exactly the behaviour that lead to the
return statement being added in the imonlcd driver.

In summary:

Mythtv lcdproc imonlcd-patch Result

0.21-unpatched 0.5.2+imonlcd return removed Works well -
backlight dims appropriately
0.21-unpatched head either known to fail
0.21-patched head return left in lcd backlight
never dims
0.21-patched head return removed lcd flashes with
about 5 second period

It seems that the flashing behaviour that the 'return' was added to
fix could be a regression in the interaction of mythtv and lcdproc
head. Has anyone else, with a different lcd that allows backlight
dimming, seen this interaction between mythtv and lcdproc?

Cheers,

Will :-}

  • [Lcdproc] imonlcd patch and mythtv, William Uther, 06/08/2009