[Lcdproc] Removing LCDProc's scripts/debian

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Removing LCDProc's scripts/debian
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 11:49:44 +0200

Hi Rene and others,

Rene Wagner wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 18:51 +0200, Markus Dolze wrote:
>> for the upcoming release of LCDproc 0.5.3 I am about to remove the
>> scripts/debian directory.
>>
>> This directory contains Debian specific files for building a package. I
>> have not received feedback from Jose Luis and Robert for one week and
>> have no idea what to put into these files.
>
> The directory also contains init scripts. And the CVS log entries
> indicate that there are quite a few improvements in our CVS compared to
> Debian. It would be unfortunate if those got lost.
>
> I would suggest to have these changes reviewed and merged rather than
> removed.

Indeed, but this is up to the Debian people.

> As for where to keep the mandatory copy of Debian init scripts and build
> files (Debian vs. LCDproc CVS), I don't think there's an easy answer to
> that. The original source of the init scripts was LCDproc CVS. The build
> files were apparently added to CVS to build custom Debian packages from
> CVS snapshots. The latter is certainly useful and not too uncommon. It's
> also usually not a problem for Debian if kept in a directory other than
> ${toplevel}/debian.

This is similar to what I do for FreeBSD. There is an official port
maintained in FreeBSD's CVS and there is some 'lcdproc-devel' port I
maintain in a local CVS.

The task is to keep track of the Distribution's changes (e.g. to the
build infrastructure) for the -devel port and to push new versions into
the Distribution's main port.

> If you feel uncomfortable shipping the directory in the release tarballs
> please just drop it from the respective Makefile.am for now until the
> above points can be resolved properly.

Shipping these files with our _release_ tarball makes little sense to me
as the Debian project will (have to) patch them anyway.

I think of removing them from the release branch and merge Debian's
changes into our files after the release and import them to HEAD branch.

Regards
Markus