[Lcdproc] Removing LCDProc's scripts/debian

  • From: rw at nelianur.org (Rene Wagner)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Removing LCDProc's scripts/debian
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 21:41:14 +0200

Hi Markus,

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 18:51 +0200, Markus Dolze wrote:
> for the upcoming release of LCDproc 0.5.3 I am about to remove the
> scripts/debian directory.
>
> This directory contains Debian specific files for building a package. I
> have not received feedback from Jose Luis and Robert for one week and
> have no idea what to put into these files.

The directory also contains init scripts. And the CVS log entries
indicate that there are quite a few improvements in our CVS compared to
Debian. It would be unfortunate if those got lost.

I would suggest to have these changes reviewed and merged rather than
removed.

As for where to keep the mandatory copy of Debian init scripts and build
files (Debian vs. LCDproc CVS), I don't think there's an easy answer to
that. The original source of the init scripts was LCDproc CVS. The build
files were apparently added to CVS to build custom Debian packages from
CVS snapshots. The latter is certainly useful and not too uncommon. It's
also usually not a problem for Debian if kept in a directory other than
${toplevel}/debian.

If you feel uncomfortable shipping the directory in the release tarballs
please just drop it from the respective Makefile.am for now until the
above points can be resolved properly.

Cheers,

Rene