[Lcdproc] LCDproc telnet session hangs

  • From: rfc822sucks at hotmail.com (nobody important)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] LCDproc telnet session hangs
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:15:59 -0600

Hello,

I threw together a script that does peak level meters for audio on FreeBSD.
A C program listens to the audio and spits out integers which is popen then a
ruby loop then and

vulcd.puts "widget_set stats vuleft 2 2 #{leftval}"
vulcd.puts "widget_set stats vuright 2 3 #{rightval}"

what I found is when I failed to

vulcd.gets
vulcd.gets

and didn't read the success messages the LCDd process would start to use 26%
CPU and fail to respond to new telnet sessions. This owuld happen after
about 30 minutes or 18000 messages.

this was using lcdproc-CVS-stable-0-5-x-20090522

Now in retrospect I should have likely read these messages, but it also seems
LCDd could be more graceful and either discard the oldest or make some sort
of warning to the logs (with highest verbosity i didn't see anything)

Just thought you guys might wanna know. Otherwise thanks, things work well
with a CFA-635 on FreeBSD 7.1 i386.

I don't know how to go about patching this, but I htought it might helop to
let you know.

Steps to reproduce: write out thousands of commands to LCDd telnet. Fail to
read any responses.

Thanks.

Douglas

Internet explorer 8 lets you browse the web faster.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9655582