[Lcdproc] Included vs. system getopt

  • From: bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de (Markus Dolze)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Included vs. system getopt
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 17:17:26 +0200

Hi,

while working on the Solaris support, I found that we ship a getopt()
implementation ourselves which cases some trouble.

While it is only used if the system does not provide getopt(), our own
header file is always used (#include "getopt.h"). This works for the
server which has '-I./shared' set in the Makefile, but not for the
clients, which omit this and therefore use the system's getopt.h (or
fail in case of Solaris).

Additionally 'configure' does not check for the availability of getopt()
but getopt_long() instead, which is used nowhere in our code.

Was there a specific reason to make the clients not use our own
getopt.h? If not, I would add '-I$(top_srcdir)/shared' to the client's
Makefile.

Or can we remove our own getopt implementation all together? getopt() is
part of many standards, whereis getopt_long() is not, but which we don't
use.

Regards,
Markus