[Lcdproc] Alphanumeric "bignums"

  • From: ethan.dicks at gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Alphanumeric "bignums"
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 17:29:39 -0400

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM, <rickx at libero.it> wrote:
> ok, I get it. But these two philosophies can meet...probably they should
> meet!

Perhaps they should, but with us trying to gather things together for
the first release in two years, they will not meet anytime soon.

> I did not seriously analyze the whole code, but I thought from the beginning
> that
> having a bignum method was strange and that the only logical reason was some
> hidden and old software/hardware constraint.

It's not a "constraint" as much as originally an attempt to express
the features of the one and only supported module. Modules have
changed in 10+ years and it has become a constraint (except on
HD44780-based modules which haven't changed and are still probably the
most popular type of module used with LCDproc).

> I don't mean to be respectless to other's work - I'm even new here in the
> list - but I don't think
> the fact that there is a lot of different hardware to support can be the
> reason not to
> evolve, at least not for a long time.

It's not being used as a reason not to evolve, but it is a reason that
the evolution isn't particularly fast.

> That being said, I'd probably better go and code something instead of
> writing...which I'll do asap.

If you are new, you've missed much discussion of the direction of
LCDproc and feature additions, but let me just say that anything as
radical as you are proposing is unlike to make into this version. It's
something to propose for 0.6 when we have the ability to open the
doors to new ideas.

-ethan