[Lcdproc] Alphanumeric "bignums"

  • From: rickx at libero.it (rickx at libero.it)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Alphanumeric "bignums"
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 22:43:36 +0200

> No you don't, and neither do any graphical displays. LCDproc,
> however, was originally written when there were no pure graphical
> displays and is still bound by design choices made more than 10 years
> ago.
>
> It's easy to write code to favor one display with all its features,
> etc. It's much harder to write code to work across dozens of vendors'
> displays with, in many cases, multiple displays per vendor.
>
>> I already prepared an excel file giving you the hex corresponding
>> to the
>> character you draw in a rectangle above. So, if I'm not missing
>> anything
>> else...I agree this might not interest the whole lcdproc community,
>> but I
>> think it's worth a try.
>
> It's easy to create a font when you have a bitmapped display to write
> to. The trick is that the obvious techniques that work with that as
> an output device are entirely unsuitable for textual displays.
>
> -ethan

ok, I get it. But these two philosophies can meet...probably they
should meet!
I did not seriously analyze the whole code, but I thought from the
beginning that
having a bignum method was strange and that the only logical reason
was some
hidden and old software/hardware constraint. So that "respectful"
philosophy
should maybe try to evolve, putting some flexibility in some too
strict code parts.
So the other, more aggressive philosophy could build upon the
common base, letting the hardware "express itself" a bit more where it
is possible.
I don't mean to be respectless to other's work - I'm even new here in
the list - but I don't think
the fact that there is a lot of different hardware to support can be
the reason not to
evolve, at least not for a long time.
That being said, I'd probably better go and code something instead of
writing...which
I'll do asap. And...I won't ask about that spectrum analizer idea back
in 2000... ;-)

Federico