[Lcdproc] Alphanumeric "bignums" (was Re: imonlcd server driver with icon support + new question)

  • From: ethan.dicks at gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Alphanumeric "bignums" (was Re: imonlcd server driver with icon support + new question)
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 10:55:53 -0400

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Federico Leverato <rickx at libero.it> wrote:

>> "bignums", like bargraphs, grew out of feature support for original
>> Matrix Orbital modules...
>> With most modules having a limitation of 8 user-defined characters,
>
> well, I have the imon-lcd and don't think it has any limitation of that
> kind.

No you don't, and neither do any graphical displays. LCDproc,
however, was originally written when there were no pure graphical
displays and is still bound by design choices made more than 10 years
ago.

It's easy to write code to favor one display with all its features,
etc. It's much harder to write code to work across dozens of vendors'
displays with, in many cases, multiple displays per vendor.

> I already prepared an excel file giving you the hex corresponding to the
> character you draw in a rectangle above. So, if I'm not missing anything
> else...I agree this might not interest the whole lcdproc community, but I
> think it's worth a try.

It's easy to create a font when you have a bitmapped display to write
to. The trick is that the obvious techniques that work with that as
an output device are entirely unsuitable for textual displays.

-ethan