[Lcdproc] Alphanumeric "bignums" (was Re: imonlcd server driver with icon support + new question)

  • From: ethan.dicks at gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Alphanumeric "bignums" (was Re: imonlcd server driver with icon support + new question)
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 10:20:57 -0400

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Federico Leverato <rickx at libero.it> wrote:
> I add a more general question here: is there a reason the big-number methods
> are for numbers only? I suppose they were written with showing the clock in
> mind, and with the problem of having to "design" the font in binary/hex,
> but is
> there any other reason or limitation for not generalizing that methods to
> print
> any type of character in double size/height?

"bignums", like bargraphs, grew out of feature support for original
Matrix Orbital modules, originally the only modules supported by the
earliest versions of LCDproc (check the list archives for early
discussions about supporting other vendors' modules). It was easy to
send a command to activate firmware-supported bignums on the module,
and yes, clocks were the original target (4x20 gives you just enough
digits to do a clock with a colon separator).

With most modules having a limitation of 8 user-defined characters,
it's tough creating a large "font", and I don't think there's been
enough interest for folks to try. If you want to try to create a full
"bignum" font, give it a try and see how well you can do with 8 chars
to play with. If it just doesn't work well, I wouldn't be surprised,
but I don't know that anyone has attempted it recently.

-ethan